Supporting Phakamani means giving an empowering hand up to those in poverty, rather than a hand out that is here today and gone tomorrow.
Phakamani has proven that its micro-enterprise development system works in South Africa. Now, we need your help to expand the programme to assist more people.
What your donation can do:
- R 400 (USD 40) covers recruitment and training for one new entrepreneur.
- R 2 000 (USD 200) covers recruitment, training, capital for micro-loans, and on-going support for one entrepreneur in her first year.
- R10 000 (USD 1 000) covers one year’s training and administration costs, plus inital loans capital, for one “group” of micro-entrepreneurs who work together and guarantee each other’s loans.
- R80 000 (USD 8 000) covers one year’s support and administration costs, plus inital loans capital, for an entire new Phakamani “Centre”. A Centre is comprised of up to eight groups of entrepreneurs who support each other in regular meetings through our community-based approach.
- R320 000 (USD 320 000) to cover the cost of establishing and operating a new Phakamani branch/service area (covering 1 or 2 villages) for its first year, including funds for loans.
Remember, when the micro-loans are repaid (more than 95% are repaid), all capital is re-cycled to help another person – so the impact of each donation goes far beyond its first use.
Phakamani is a registered Public Benefit Organisation and an audited Section 21 (not-for-profit) organisation in South Africa, with funding channels also in Australia, Canada and the United States. For South African corporate sponsors, Phakamani is a qualified Level 1 recipient for BEE funds in the areas of Enterprise Development and Social and Economic Development.*
*Note for corporate sponsors in South Africa: In addition to benefiting society, donations to Phakamani Foundation can be claimed as a contribution to Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (BEE), earning a company up to 50 points out of 100 under the Department of Trade & Industry’s Codes of Good Practices. Phakamani qualifies as a beneficiary entity under both Enterprise Development and Socio-Economic Development, as confirmed by a SANAS-accredited verification agent. Please see the BEE section of this Website for more details.